Now that classes are getting under way here at Stonehill, it is time to start thinking about more than what is going on during the weekends here (although that is important too!). What I mean by this is that you need to start thinking about how you are going to make sure that you get everything done on time, and done well.
Steps to make this happen:
- Get a planner. I’m not kidding with this one. Before you know it, you will have more things to do than you know what to do with. Being able to write things down, either in a planner or on your phone/computer/iPad, is going to be a huge help, and it will keep you from missing any obligations!
- Find a study space that works for you. This may be your desk, a table in the library, Stanger, or a round table in the commons. Wherever you work best is where you should be when you need to get things done. Distractions are everywhere at college, don’t let them ruin your course work!
- Make friends with your professors. I’m not talking about hanging out with them on the weekends here, but it is extremely beneficial to get to know them. Having a good relationship with your professors will help you when you don’t understand something in class, or you need advice on something. When you are more than just a name on a course roster, they are going to be able to help you much better.
- Ask for help. Just because you are in college, doesn’t mean that you are too old or cool to ask for help when you don’t understand something. There are resources all over campus for you to use. They include your professor’s office hours, TA sessions, the writing lab, tutors, and the reference desk just to name a few. Get help early, and don’t fall behind. It will haunt you later if you don’t take care of the problem right away!
- Last, but certainly not least, keep an open mind. Go into class ready to learn, even if it is not your favorite subject. The classes here are run for a reason. Your professor is passionate about what they teach, and this can be infectious. Go out there and learn!
Powered by Facebook Comments